Do you love books? Word searches and trivia games? This site is for you, along with everything you ever wanted to know about your favorite books.
- Scholastic Kids Fun Online
This is a great site with games and activities related to your favorite book characters - Harry Potter, Captain Underpants, Dear America, I SPY, Clifford, Animorphs, Goosebumps, Secrets of Droon, Magic School Bus
- Kids @ Random. Random House Children's books
Check out activities related to some of your favorite book characters: Arthur, Dragon Tales, Junie B. Jones, Seussville and Star Wars
- HarperCollins Children's website
More fun with book characters: Harold & the Purple Crayon, If You Give a Mouse a Muffin, Molly Moon and more!
- Welcome To Berenstein Bear Country!
Take a tour of Bear Country!
- Alice In Wonderland - An Interactive Adventure
Alice in Wonderland fans - this one is for you! Have fun exploring, down the rabbithole!
- PBS Kids
Lots of fun here - Arthur, Barney, Caillou, Clifford, Dragon Tales, Sagwa and lots more of your favorite TV characters and shows.
Great games and activities for preschoolers - Maisy, Franklin, and Miffy are here.
- Sesame Street Workshop
Lots to keep the little ones smiling.
- Kid Wizard
This is a magical site with games, coloring pages, even secret potion recipes!
Very pretty games - the artwork here is unique and the games are unusual.
- Wild Games
Cool website by Defenders of Wildllife - animal facts, news, and animal themed games.
Housed within the walls of San Francisco's landmark Palace of Fine Arts, the Exploratorium is a
collage of over 600 interactive exhibits in the areas of science, art, and human perception.
- Kids' Castle
Did you ever wish you could explore a castle? Learn how to joust? Trot on in.
- CBS Sportsline Arcade Games
From CBS Sports, a collection of interactive sports games. Batter up!
- The Kaboose Network
This is a network of sites with lots to keep you entertained. Games in Funschool are divided into age groups, starting with preschool through 6th grade. Zeeks are divided by type of game.
This site for designed kids Up To Ten, fun and educational.
- Kids.Com Jr.
Lots to explore here for little kids (jr.) and bigger kids.
- Squigly's Playhouse
Different types of games, puzzles, along with lots of writing activities.
- Pauly's Playhouse
Silly games - totally kid friendly.
Another good, child friendly site - try out Alphabet Whack-A-Mole!
Huge free game website, but lot of ads and pop-ups.
- Yahooligans! Games
Lots of games available right on this page, or scroll down to Categories and click on the Online Games button to access a directory of many, many more sites.
Science For Kids
- Science Toys: " Make toys at home with common household materials, often in only a few minutes, that demonstrate fascinating scientific principles."
- Cool Science for Curious Kids: from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute; explore biology with all sorts of really interesting articles and interactive games.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy: Can I just say how much I love Bill Nye? He's long been a favorite in our house.
- MadSciNet: Anything called the "24 hour exploding laboratory" just can't be wrong.
- NASA Kids Club:Anything from NASA is bound to be incredible, and NASA Kids Club is no exception to that.
Biology for Kids
- Kid's Planet: Includes facts, games, a teacher's section, and even information how kids can act to save endangered species.
- National Wildlife Federation: the official home of Ranger Rick and more; you can click on the Wildlife link and get more specific animal info.
- A Guided Tour of the Visible Human: There's an enormous amount of information here; great for the budding biology major.
- Human Anatomy Online: Pick a system, any system - skeletal, digestive, muscular, etc.
- KidsHealth: this is a really good kids health site aimed towards kids, instead of parents. Great resource for science research but also an excellent source for questions such as "what is puberty?"
- Wonders of the Seas: Explore the ocean and the creatures that live in its depths.
- DinoDictionary: "With profiles of over 300 known dinosaurs, immerse yourself in a wealth of knowledge about the giants that roamed the earth so long ago!"
History for Kids
- History for Kids: all sorts of good stuff here, organized by regions (China, India, West Asia, etc.).
- America's Library: from the Library of Congress. Meet famous Americans from history, explore the United States, and watch videos or hear audio from American history.
- Castles on the Web: an exhaustive resource for kids who'd like to learn about castles.
- This Day In History: a great feature that helps kids get into history. It's especially fun to see what happened on your birthday.
- BBC History for Kids: so much good stuff here. Interactive timelines, games, and lots of great information.
Government Sites for Kids
- FirstGov for Kids: a portal to lots of great kids government sites; includes information on health, homework, money, arts, computers, etc.
- White House Kids Home Page: history of the White House and personal notes from the President and Vice President, videos, quizzes, and more.
- FEMA for Kids: Get educated about preparing and preventing disasters from Herman the FEMA spokescrab.
- EPA Environmental Kids Club: Kids can get information here about anything to do with the environment; air, water, recycling, even an "Ask EPA" feature.
- Ben's Guide to US Government for Kids: Pick an age range and then start exploring; there's a ton of great information here.
- The United States Mint for Kids: find out all about the United States Mint, currency, and coins.
Kids Books and Kids Stories
- Storyline Online: from the Screen Actors Guild Foundation; an online streaming video program featuring SAG members reading books out loud.
- Seussville: come on, it's Dr. Seuss! Need I say more?
- The Magic School Bus: The Magic School Bus has done more to advance interest in science with my kids than almost any other resource.
- Harry Potter: fans of Harry Potter will enjoy this site full of great Harry Potter news and fun interactive games.
- Little House on the Prairie: I got these books as a child and now I'm reading them to my own kids. A timeless set of stories, and a great companion Web site.
- International Children's Digital Library: "a library for the world's children...."that provides free access to children's books from around the world."
- StoryNory: free children's audio stories; great for burning onto a CD.
- Kiddie Records Weekly: My favorite kids site. My kids love listening to these classic stories.
General Kid Web Sites
- PBS Kids: All the best PBS kids shows are represented here, from Barney to Mr. Rogers, and each show has its own games and interactive educational fun stuff.
- Discovery Kids: Discovery Kids is a great kids portal, with lots of fun interactive games, videos, and information about various shows on the Discovery network.
- National Geographic Kids: One of the best sites on the Web for kids. Games, cartoons, even a printable coloring book.
- HowStuffWorks: Want to know how pretty much anything works? This is the place to go.
- Sports Illustrated for Kids: a great way for kids to learn about their favorite sport.
Do you have a favorite kids site that you don't see listed here? Shoot me an email and I'll try to include it.